The professional grade two-way radio market is a landscape that is littered with options and variations which is why RCA Communications Systems thought it would be a good idea to churn out this detailed post comparing two of the most popular professional 2-way radio models: RCA RDR2325 and the HYT PD502i.
RCA RDR2325 Review
The RCA RDR2325 is an industrial quality 2-way radio model that is used in industries like education, construction, mining, manufacturing, and farming. Unlike consumer grade walkie talkies often called FRS and GMRS, professional grade two-way radios in general are designed for durability, feature-rich technology, higher quality audio clarity, longer battery life, and higher wattage.
Overview: The RCA RDR2325 2-way radio is considered one of the most well-made, rugged, and affordably priced two-way radios on the market today. It is compact and versatile enough to be completely compatible with all other professional DMR Digital radios on the market.
The real thing about this radio is that it is incredibly well made with superior componentry that make it a perfect radio for a construction site or factory floor.
RCA RDR2325 vs. Hytera PD502i
|RCA RDR2325||HYT PD502i|
✓ 4/5 Watts
✓ 3 Years
✓ 2000 mAh-16 hrs.
|1500 mAh -14 hrs|
✓ Same Day & FREE
✓ Prodigy Plus™
✓ No Quota
✓ 1 Watt
✓ 30% Lower Every Day
Reviewing the RCA 2-Way Radio RDR2350 Features
Ok, here comes the important part. It is essential to know all the features and benefits of any radio. So, let us go into detail one-by-one.
- Wattage: Most industrial radios are designed to run on between 1-5 watts depending on the model. Basically, the higher wattage the greater the range. Obviously the more powerful the radio, the more expensive the set will be. However, increased wattage also increases the capabilities of the radio as well. The RCA RDR2325 radio comes with 4/5 watts of power depending on whether it’s used in the digital mode or analog mode. This is the most wattage any portable handheld digital radio can produce.
- Audio: The RCA RDR2325 radios produces 1 Watt of audio power and is equipped with X-Sound+ HDTMthat delivers exceptionally clear sound quality. This proprietary sound technology also eliminates background noise and static from voice transmissions.
- Size and Durability: The RCA RDR2325 radios are compact and lightweight (approximately 10 oz. with the battery and measures 5.3” x 2.3” x 1.3”. It is constructed with a sturdy, polycarbonate, watertight chassis to protect the radio’s components. In fact, the radio model was recently taken into a jail facility to test its durability, and it passed the drop and abuse tests with flying colors.
- Ingress Protection (IP) Rating: The IP Rating basically classifies and rates the degree of protection provided by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures against intrusion, dust, accidental contact, and water. Typical professional grade two-way radios have an IP Rating of IP54 which protects the radio from splashing water and minimal dust penetrations. However, the RCA RDR2325 has an IP Rating of 65 which allows no ingress of dust at all and protects the radio from jets of water penetrating its components.
- Advanced Signaling Capability: With the display version, the RCA RDR2325 can perform 2-Tone, 5-Tone, DTMF Encode/Decode and MDC1200 which is good for analog radios used by many rural police departments and volunteer fire departments.
- Prodigy Plus Technology: The RCA RDR2325 uses its proprietary Prodigy Plus technology that acts like a pseudo trunking system, creating an easier talking path for private and group calling. This feature pushes the DMR standard to its fullest potential.
- Battery Power: The RCA RDR2325 comes with a 2000 mAh Lithium Ion Battery that can last for up to 16 hours on a single charge.
- Dealer Buying Quota: The RCA dealer/distributor business model does not currently impose a quota for dealers who want to join the nationwide network.
- Dealer Pricing Structure: Unlike other manufacturers, RCA Communications Systems keeps its pricing structure for dealers level and consistent, avoiding conflicting pricing schedules.
- Three-year warranty
- Up to 5 Watts of power
- Super compact and lightweight
- High Durability with IP54 Rating
- Priced 30 Percent Below Comparable Radios
- Only available from RCA Two-Way Radio Authorized Dealers
Reviewing the HYT PD5i 2-Way Radio Series
The Hytera PD5i Series is a professional two-way radio that can be used for hotels, schools, security, warehousing, retail, and special events. It is an open-standard DMR radio that is provides a good solution for organizations looking for a cost-effective way to migrate into professional level digital two-way radio communication. Because it is a professional grade two-way radio, it comes with important user feature technology, good audio clarity, longer battery life, and higher wattage than most consumer two-way radios.
So here are some highlights of the Hytera Pd5i’s features:
- Wattage: The Hytera PD5i two-way radio comes with 4/5 watts of power depending on whether it’s used in the digital mode or analog mode. This is a substantial amount of power to allow users to be heard from long distances away.
- Audio: The Hytera PD5i delivers 0.5 watts of audio power output (slightly less than RCA’s RDR2325), and has noise reducing technology.
- Size and Durability: The Hytera PD5i weighs 9.7 oz., measures 4.53 x 2.13, and is made from 2K injection molding, a process that helps keep production and resale prices down.
- (IP) Rating: The IP Rating for the PD502i and is IP54 which protects against minor dust and the light rain or minor water splashes. However, this radios with an IP54 rating will not be protected against heavy dust or heavy rain.
- Advanced Signaling Capability: The PD502i can perform advanced analog signaling modes including 2-Tone, 5-Tone, and MDC1200 which helps them integrate with existing analog two-way radio fleets.
- DMR Protocol: The Hytera PD5i is fully compliant with current DMR standards.
- Battery Power: The Hytera PD5i uses a 1500mAh lithium ion battery that lasts under 16 hours.
- Two-year warranty
- Up to 5 Watts of power
- Compact and lightweight
- Relatively High Durability with IP54 Rating
- Comes Already Digitally Enabled
- Currently unavailable due to legal constraints